Friday, December 2, 2011

My Feel Good, Look Good Mantra

    We all have our bad days, right? And sometimes we stress out for the strangest reasons (I know I do- eyebags/dark circles, that kid on the street who doesn't have family or food, politics, why gravity has to pull my stuff down when i'm carrying a lot of things-seriously, and many more). So we have to have a foundation, a go-to list to constantly remind us that life is beautiful despite it's really screwed up and intentional downfalls, and that we should feel good. Beauty that comes from within shines brighter than any ultra shiny lip gloss or world cup trophy. So I created a guide, sort of a mantra actually, things I have to do to feel good most of the time, that I want to share with all of you. This is also actually a good New Year's resolution list. So think about it.

EAT HEALTHY - You are what you take in.
     Nope, don't worry. I'm not gonna tell you to cut out meat from your diet or eat less because I,myself, can never do that. I love to eat, I even think I eat too much, but lately I've realized that I'm not getting any younger and I don't wanna spend the rest of my life regretting why I ate all those Mcdonald's. But seriously, eating healthy is a huge thing right now, hence all the organic and calorie counts that's been going around. And so, it's very accessible. No reason for us to postpone it for another day.

    I was also inspired by this good show on TV called "Cooking Yourself Thin" (they have a book now too). They help you cook recipes that actually have the same amount of flavor (sometimes even looking mas delicioso) but with much less calorie count. There's also this blog that I love called "The Fat Kid Inside", run by an equally appetizing host (and by appetizing I mean inspiring. Haha) who has a passion for food. So for those of you who have extra time in they're hands, maybe you can check out some recipes that they have and do them yourself. But if you're the type of person who's always on the go, try researching for places or restaurants that actually serve healthy food. There's a lot out there. That's what I've been doing. Trust me, most of the paranoia and stress that you are strangely experiencing sometimes have something to do with what you are eating. Try it for a couple of weeks, the key here is HONESTY ;)

I was never fond of salads but I really love this one from Guy
and Gallard
New York. It's called Spicy Thai Chicken salad
and I don't think it's that hard to make either.

Romaine lettuce + carrots + chicken + corn + avocado + balsamic vinegar

Paired it with wheat bread and low fat butter. It doesn't really
look very inviting in this picture 'cos I had a little time to eat
lunch and had so many stuff on the table, but its really
really really good.

wheat bread + low fat butter


GET SOME GOOD AMOUNT OF SLEEP.
    Now this is a department I am never good at. I actually have a really bad body clock. But that's never an excuse. I know we all have a lot of things to do for school or for work and we just don't have time to sleep! But if you really think about it, we can do better work if we HAVE enough sleep. I actually read somewhere that we can make up for the lost sleep that we had. I'm not really sure how true that is but all I know is that once we have the time to rest, do it. And if we don't have any valid reason to stay up, don't stay up... hmmm all the time? Haha. Kidding. But seriously, the key here is TIME MANAGEMENT. I know, I know it's hard, I myself am still working on this but it's better to be aware about it and try. A good rest brings out glow.

You don't wanna be caught sleeping at the
middle of your graduation ceremonies,
do you? YIKES. Haha

photo courtesy of Joan, my sneaky friend. Haha


EXERCISE.
   I am a sports fan. I love sports. I've tried soccer, volleyball, softball, frisbee, rowing, boxing, and fencing. And I am very thankful that I do because I don't know what I would look now if I hadn't gone with my friend to soccer tryouts that day in elementary school. Not most of us are fond of sports though. But we still have a lot of other choices to try and get our bodies movin'. So once again, no reason to postpone. If you don't have the time to go to the gym, try running up and down your stairs at home or walk around your village for a few minutes maybe twice or thrice a week. Just to at least sweat out the stress and toxins in our body. Yet to those of us who like a bit of a challenge, there's a whole lot of exercise programs to choose from.

Running- fun runs are so in right now. It encourages a lot of people to be healthier, and well, it's fun, hence the name. You can go with your friends or family and actually take it as a time to bond. Also, what I love most about fun runs is that it is usually a fund raising for a good cause. So it's actually a win-win situation. You get to shed some extra pounds while saving mankind.

Boxing- I've tried this and I must say it is very addicting, not to mention therapeutic. It's true what they say that it literally releases stress. And isn't it nice to actually punch your problems out without hurting someone? This is also a good form of self-defense in case you get into some shady situations.

Core Kinesis- A lot of celebrities have been doing this program and it seems interesting. According to Women's Health Philippines, it helps tone the body using 360-degree movements and improves flexibility. This is going on my things-to-try list!

So there you go, just a few suggestions from me. You can actually go to a professional trainer to have yourself evaluated. A lot of facilities do that so you can find the right program for you. Goodluck to us!


PRACTICE A REGIMEN.
   I would be such a hypocrite if I say that all we need to take care of is what's on the inside. No, that is not true. It's always good to have a daily routine in taking care of our outer beauty. Some of the basics are taking a bath and brushing our teeth (which I'm sure are the most important). But it's also very nice to actually follow a regimen that keeps our skin extra pampered. This may be a job for a dermatologist or just yourself. Start from identifying the type of skin you have. This is very important because what you use on your face (or entire body) will depend on your skin type. You can't use a strong facial cleanser if you have dry skin, right? And then, try and look for the best products for your skin. A little effort now will go a long way.

What I think are most essential:
Wash your face before you go to bed. I suggest you do this once you get home before you do all your homework because by then your eyes are strained already and it's not advisable to wash tired eyes. A nice hot bath is actually nice. It's relaxing, and helps you free your mind before you start working.

Moisturize. Yes, even you guys. There's tons of different moisturizers out there for every skin type, man or woman, skin problem to skin problem. You just have to find the one that's best for you, which is the most crucial part.

Drink lots and lots of water. A lot of people think that drinking too much water is bad for you. I don't know how true that is because I'm not really a scientist but I believe water is the most effective cleanser. It's liquid so you actually release it after you drink it. What I do is take sips every once in a while. It's more of the rehydrated feeling that I go for.


SPOIL YOURSELF, RESPONSIBLY.
    It's not really bad to spoil yourself sometimes. A little shopping spree, some food trip once in a while. But make sure you're doing it for a reason. Had a really long day at work? Get a massage. Nailed that thesis defense? Probably a night out with friends. Went to all of your exercise appointments with the trainer? Perhaps a cupcake or two (make it cheat day! haha). The term "spoiling", i believe, is not as bad as it seems. I'd like to think that the word is subjective. This is actually also a good motivation!


LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH.
Live. Let's be real, we will never know if we're going to be hit by a bus tomorrow or get bitten by a snake today. So don't waste your time dwelling on the things that make you boring, set your goals and start living for your dreams now.

Love. Because it's the best gift you can ever give to someone.

Laugh. Because a wise man once said, it's the cheapest medicine. And you know how it is with wise men! Haha



And so as I end this mantra of mine, I hope I kind of gave you an idea on how to start feeling good about yourself. I decided to make this post because I haven't been feeling well the past few days myself, and going through it actually made me feel better. And I thought, well, another year is coming to close and one is fast approaching. Give yourself the chance to become better everyday.


Let me know what you think,

<3 Roni












No comments:

Post a Comment